Overcoming home sickness
In those first couple of weeks at varsity, life is going to seem as if you were set on light speed.
As things start to settle and you find your feet, new emotions will begin to surface.
One such emotion felt by students of all ages is homesickness.
When leaving home for the first time, students are leaving a lot more than just good food. They are leaving their comfort and support structures.
Signs of homesickness include feeling sad, overwhelmed, lonely anxious and generally down in the dumps.
Tips on how to deal with home sickness:
1. Bring small things from home that makes you feel comfortable in your surroundings.
2. A lot of people will be in the same boat as you, so perhaps you could make the first offer of friendship in your halls.
3. Find a place/bar/club where you can become a regular at.
4. Don’t forget why you’re here. When being weighed down by the thoughts of missing home, remind yourself why you choose the place you have.
5. Communicate (in moderation) with your family. Your family has not left your side, they are a phone call or sms away. There is nothing wrong with phoning your mom once a day to say “I love you” if it’s going to put a smile on your face.
To better understand homesickness and how to treat it visit: http://www.worc.ac.uk/counselling/593.htm